Tuesday, August 31, 2010

So Many Orientations...so little time

We are officially into the second week of school.  And I am officially exhausted!  The kids all seem to be handling all of this SO much better than the mommy!  I think that I am working especially hard to keep about a thousand different things and appointments and curriculum nights and pasta parties and whatever else straight in my head, that my brain is having a really hard time switching off and settling down at night to sleep.  I worry about oversleeping and missing buses (not that that would be any big deal...it's a quick and easy drive if we do find ourselves behind), I worry the kids will forget assignments (mostly just that one kid), I worry about getting lunches packed, having the laundry done, the fact that I still haven't made it up to Academy to purchase extra swimsuits for Max and jazz pants for Clara, and the fact that my calendar is absolutely bursting with places to be and things to do.  I worry about it all...all night.  I fall into bed exhausted and sleep until about 2 a.m...and then it's like a switch goes on and all the events of the calendar start flooding in and I can't shut it out and I toss and turn with it the rest of the night and before I know it...I have to be back up and at 'em again and I've only logged about 3 hours or so of real sleep.  As day two of week two of the school year gets rolling today, I feel like I'm moving in a fog.  I've drained my big coffee cup twice...and would still love another cup.  It's just going to be one of those days!  I know this will all settle down...it has to.  In all of this, I've realized a few things about myself.  For one...I am not a particularly good zombie.  It's not pretty and I can't stand being that low functioning and feeling like I can't break out of it.  I wish I was a napper...several times I've felt like a good, quick 20 minute snooze would do me a world of good.  I even attempted it twice...to no avail.  I am NOT a napper.  My body simply will not go there.  In zombie mode, motivation is a serious issue!  I mostly want to just lay down somewhere...not that I could sleep.  I just feel like i need to lay there and stare into space for a while...and I HATE that feeling.  And finally, I've decided that for the first two or three weeks of NEXT school year...in order to get through them a bit more smoothly, I am obviously going to have to take on some type of serious Olympic like training so that I can start the year with more stamina and some mental clarity.  That's what I need...less brain fog...more stamina.

As for everyone else...they are peachy.  Clara thinks her third grade teacher is THE single most awesome teacher on the planet.  SO happy for her considering I'm pretty scarred for life after the nasty, NASTY mean third grade teacher that I had in school.  I'm 38 years old and still have not gotten over that whole year with Mrs. Bird.  Talk about a heart of stone and a hatefully mean spirit.  Anyway...no need to head down THAT lane of memories!  Clara is delighted and thrilled with her class this year.  Ben also is happy and seems to be working on his projects that are due next week.  Or maybe it's this week?  Aaaaaaack....the mommy panic is rising!  Must get online and check it out!  I could use one of those pills people pop for anxiety right about now!  Beathe in, breathe out.  I THINK he's on top of it.  Though now I am certain I will worry over it until I see him again this afternoon!  And then...there's Max.  Max who still could not find one of his shoes this morning (heaven forbid he take them BOTH off at the same time, in the same room).  Max who messed around and didn't have time to make a lunch because he was doing other things and then was immensely relieved to find I had put money on his lunch account.  Max who at the last minute was gathering things for swim practice this afternoon...even though I asked him to take care of it last night.  Max who....okay.  Some things never change with Max...obvioulsy!  But for the most part...he's doing pretty great.  He is doing homework ( I think) and is at least making efforts to recall his day and assignments that are due.  He has a LOT at stake.  No grades...no swim.  No swim sends him back into the dreaded Art I class...which just might be full at this point.  Which means that no swim COULD possibly send him to choir....or worse...Dance!  LOL!  Now there's a picture that just gives me the giggles for sure!  Needless to say...a highly motivating factor in the life of Max, for which precious little has served to motivate to date!

And then there is Chris...poor Chris.  Life, as always is crazy for him.  He's running constantly, working constantly.  At home, into the night, every night, long after the work day has ended.  Right now he's traveling.  He's in Phoenix...then is on to Cleveland to solve some major crisis that just popped up over there.  Which leaves me here to navigate parent orientation nights, gymnastics classes and swim pasta parties all by myself.  Sigh...it does seem rather never ending at times.

Anyway...that's the current update.  I'm tired and half crazy, severely overscheduled and highly unmotivated.  I'm about to go have some vitamins for breakfast and another hit of coffee in hopes of getting this rear in gear!  This too shall pass...right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment