Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Back to School

Well, it's that time of year again.  The first day of school has come!  And gone. As in, we survived!  Yesterday was the first day back for our kiddos.  I was worried about how it would all go.  Max was still doing homework at 10:30 p..m. the night before (my little procrastinator).  Clara was lamenting about what a bummer it was that NONE of her friends was going to be in her class.  And Ben was uptight  because he did not have every single thing he needed for football practice, WHICH hadn't even started yet.  But everyone was up, bright and early, eyes all sparkly (or maybe just really watery from constantly yawning because it's been forever since they have seen the 6 a.m. hour?  And everyone was out the door right on time and successfully delivered to their appropriate school campuses.  Once the kids were all situated, that left me with some MUCH welcome quiet!  I made a Goodwill run and emptied all the bags of clothes from the back of my car, stopped at the gym and worked out for about an hour and a half, came home for a quick snack, showered, tackled 4 loads of laundry, scrubbed my bathroom top to bottom, steamed the floors, vacuumed the downstairs, did the dishes, grabbed some lunch, pulled some weeds, then took off to start picking up kids.  I will have NO children on buses in the afternoon this year.  I decided to pull Clara off the bus with the two nasty little girls down the street. I just want to run over them every time I see them out in the street.  NASTY little ones they are.  I made that decision last year...and it works fine for us.  Ben will be doing football practice and will be staying at school until 4:30 each day.  This is not a problem at all, as Max's school bell schedule has changed (due to budget cuts) and his swim practice will now run a half hour AFTER school, leaving him finished at ....4:30!!!!!  What's even better about this is that Max actually has swim practice in the parking lot of Ben's school!  The fates have at least smiled at me on this one!  SOOOOOO...I'll be picking the boys up between 4:30 and posssibly 4:45 for Ben as he cleans up, then whisking them home, lickety split, only to immediately leave with Clara in order to get her to her Jui Jitsu practice.  Leave her, shoot home to pick up Max, who has now had just a few quick minutes to have a snack and change clothes, take Max to Jui Jitsu, pick up Clara and bring her home, and pray Chris can grab Max on his way home from the office at 7 o'clock!  Whew!  From 2:45 on, life is going to be some kind of crazy around these parts!  I'm tired and overwhelmed just thinking about it.  Which is why I have to switch back into Nike mode and you know...Just Do It.  Less thinking...more doing!  But yesterday...we didn't even attempty Jui Jitsu practice or anything else.  I knew everyone would be tired and that there would be a couple of things that would need to be taken care of and so I thought a low key afternoon would be best.  However...there would be NONE of that.  Apparently football practice started right then, the first day of school, no here's what you should know as a parent, no "Head's up, we're starting", no notice at all.  And in order to practice, you have to have had your sports physical.  WHICH of course, we didn't have yet.  Grrrr.  And so.  I made a call to the pediatrician who informed us that they couldn't have one in their office until after August 30th due to insurance policy....which is completely too late for both boys.  So we loaded back into the car, 15 minutes after we got home and headed to urgent care up the street where THEY performed their physicals for them.  Both boys...DONE!  Got back home around 5:15, where I had exactly 25 minutes until I had to get BACK in the car and go back to Ben's school for a meeting about football.  Sigh.  By the time I got back home at 7 0'clock last night, I was ready to drop.  I had some dinner, finished some laundry, baked some cookies for the kid's lunches (NOT because I'm domestic, but only because we didn't have anything else I could throw in there), and was tucked deep in my bed by 10 p.m.  I slept like the dead and rose bright and early, ready to start this new and wonderful day!  I have to admit the alarm seemed to go off a bit early and I found myself praying for just 5 more minutes.  The excitement of the first day had definitely worn off...it's drudgery from this point on!  But alas...up at at em....be the Nike and all...Just Do It!

Speaking of DOING...I have lots to do today.  Ben needs a mouthguard and a water JUG for practice.  It's still 106 degrees here at 4 p.m. when my boy is out on that football field and he NEEDS some serious liquids.   He also needs two MORE spiral notebooks.  Notebooks that failed to be mentioned on the student supply list.  Clara needs 4 book covers and a pack of dividers.  Book covers and dividers which ALSO happened NOT to be on the school supply list.   GRrrrrrrr.  This kind of stuff just makes me CRAZY!!!!!!!  In addition, my printer is nearly out of ink, my pool is turning green and needs some shock, and my puppies are nearly out of treats.  So I have some shopping to take care of today.  No rest for the weary, right.  And in my spare time, I need to do a deep clean on the rooms upstairs...blinds, baseboards, corners, etc.  Well...alright now.  Looks like a full program then today!  Best be getting to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment