Monday, August 29, 2011

Sweatin' it Out in Texas

Good grief it's HOT in the state of Texas.  I like being warm.  Handle heat just about better than anyone I know.  MUCH prefer it to freezing to death (which starts somewhere just under 70 degrees for me).  But THIS is ridiculous!!!!!!  Welcome to day 63 of consecutive days with temps over 100 degrees.  Grrrrr.  It's miserable here.  And sticky.  And gross.  And hard to breathe with all this stinkin' humidity.  I am MISSING living in the desert more than you can imagine these days.  Chris and I were talking and found it funny how even the desert wasn't as grueseomely hot as it is here and had nowhere NEAR the humidity.  I'm getting NOTHING done in my yard or around the house.  I have to wait until 8:30 every night to go out and try to pull a few weeds.  Then I have to pull FAST because I only have a few minutes of daylight left.  So many things are just being left undone out there because it's just SOOOOOO hot!!!!!!!  Unfortunately, things are nearly as hot INSIDE as well right now.  The A/C unit that cools the upstairs has, at last, done it's swan song and was pronounced dead late last week.  The other two units are doubly taxed now trying to pick up some of the slack. It's 95 degrees upstairs.  The A/C unit that cools the master bedroom and that end of the house has been straining and is having to be babied along while we sweat this out.  It's frozen over a couple of times with the increased work load.  Sending my bedroom up to a nice 85 degrees.   We've been sleeping all over the downstairs, with kids on couches and floors and guest beds.  They ordered us a new A/C unit and it should be here today or tomorrow.  Hopefully it can be installed as soon as it reaches the technician's hands?!  I thought summer was miserable BEFORE the A/C went out...but I have now had my perspective shifted.  The lack of A/C inside is greatly influencing some things in the house as well.  For example, I am in NO hurry whatsoever to go upstairs and put the kid's laundry away.  Nor have I had the heart to send them up into the extreme heat to do it.  So my laundry room is piling up.  There are blankets and pillows and all manner of other things all over my family room all day.  It looks like a bomb went off downstairs.  Night time gets tricky because I am used to being up past all my children and able to move around the kitchen and make noise without disturbing anyone.  But with all my crew passed out right there in the family room, that is difficult.  This week has certainly been an interesting journey and I have developed a new thanks and grattitude for the miracle of air conditioning and will never take that blessing for granted again!

What else?  My diet is coming right along.  It's been one week and I am down about 5 pounds right now.  Today is the first day of week 2.  Here's to motivation and staying the course!  And pants that might fit one day again!  And being able to breathe again in your fat pants!  Woo hoo!  It's the little things in life, right?

On another note, I gave Max his first driving lesson this weekend.  I thought if he had a chance to get behind the wheel and take it for a spin, it might be motivational for him and he MIGHT pay more attention to his grades and get focused.  Probably not.  But it was worth a shot.  So I bravely stepped up to the plate and proceeded to do with Max, what my own father did with me when it was time to teach ME how to drive.  I took him over to the local cemetary.  I know that might sound strange, but it's where I learned and in my old age, I realize the wisdom in this choice of venue for lessons.  Especially the early ones.  The cemetary has nice little roads all through it.  With corners to practice turning and intersections to practice stopping at.  There is little to no traffic (unless there is a funeral going on) and ours has some hills, etc.  And, like my Dad always reminded me...you can't hurt anyone over there.  They are all already dead!  And so, we went for our first little driving session.  It went quite well, and a few jerky stops and starts later he was getting the hang of it.  Hopefully it was enough to motivate the week before us?  I don't plan to throw out too many of those bones though.  My nerves cannot take it!  I'm made to drive...not ride quietly alongside.  It was a true test of my nerves and will.  I can handle the little stuff...like cemetary 101...but I plan to let the driving school handle all the rest!!!!

That's about all the news here in the great state of Texas today.  Kids are off to school and I am off to the dry cleaner and the library!  I know, exciting stuff.  Don't be jealous of my glamorous life!  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment