Sunday, March 27, 2011

Consequences

consequence 

- 4 dictionary results

con·se·quence

  [kon-si-kwens, -kwuhns]  Show IPA
–noun
1.
the effect, result, or outcome of something occurring earlier:The accident was the consequence of reckless driving.
2.
an act or instance of following something as an effect,result, or outcome.


In Max's case, consequences are the result of earning poor grades which obviously occured EARLIER than the consequence, which, for the record, are in full swing right now.  

It's killing him.  And by that, I mean it is literally eating away at the kid.  He scrambles daily, begging and pleading with teachers to update the online gradebook to show improvement.  He's furious that they actually took spring break for themselves instead of working through it to benefit him and hopefully relieve him of these wretched consequences that his father and I have so thoughtlessly heaped upon him.  "We're always causing trouble that way" he tells us.  Obviously, Max has yet to arrive at the conclusion where he actually has any responsibility in this whole issue.  These bad grades are not his fault you know.  The teachers don't like him.  They pick on him.  They lose his work.  They refuse to update their grades because they A) don't like him and B) are lazy.  It must be hard to be so perfect in such an imperfect world.  I gently reminded him this afternoon that not getting to play video games was a consequence...which, in this case was designed to last a good while AND to suck.  I do believe it is doing both rather nicely.  Max is most definitely miserable.  And I have noticed him actually doing his homework every now and then and putting forth some strand of scholarly effort.  Of course, he's also badgering me daily about not being able to play and when I remind him of that magical word- CONSEQUENCE, he immediately tells me that "I don't even know what I am talking about or why I am saying that anymore".  But alas...I do!  Then I remind him of the solemn oath I took upon entering motherhood.  The one where I am required to pursue and uphold the quest of making my children miserable and unhappy in life in hopes of raising up fine young men and women.  Then I point out that one day, God willing (and no small miracle) he might one day marry some fine young lady that has also been tortured by her parents and together they can then pursue to raise their OWN tortured and underpriviledged child and expereince unsurpassed joy in watching their misery as they fondly remember the the days of their own harsh, gray childhoods.  It's the circle of life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment