Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Here We Go Again...

Last year was a TOUGH year for us.  I mean TOUGH.  Maxwell was so chronically disorganized that he didn't know if he was coming or going.  He forgot major projects, lost his homework, or just did a really crappy job ON that homework.  His grades were continually in the toilet and our family was just in constant crisis mode and NONE to happy and smiley thanks to his unending state of craziness.  He assured me that we would NOT have another year like that.  I assured HIM that we would not have another year like that...not that he would live to tell about anyway.  And the year really seemed to be off to a great start.  Three weeks in so far and there's just been smooth sailing and no bumps.  Easy nights of homework and all good news.  And then this morning came.  It was a good and glorious morning.  A little slow to get moving, but good just the same.  There were the usual lost shoes and scrambling for things....guess who's shoes were lost!  But it was normal enough and not too problematic.  Then...about 2 minutes before Max headed out the door he hastily thrust a sheet of paper at me with the "Can you sign this real quick?" plea.  At first glance it was just an ethnicity survey.  You know...hispanic?  non hispanic?  white?  And so on.  Then I flipped to the  next sheet which happened to be his current GRADES standing.  And that's where the morning went all to hell in a handbasket.  I"m pretty sure my blood pressure went from low and smooth to SPIKED OFF THE CHART in about 20 seconds.  The child is currently showing TWO D's.  One of then in English and one of them in ALGEBRA.  The SAME algebra that I am making him repeat for the second year in a row.  For pete's sake!!!  Mind you...he did not flunk Algebra last year either.  He carried C's and D's and it was always a battle.  He did well enough on the tests, but always had low grades on his homework and other assignments.  He basically screwed himself in that class due to his disorganization.  We talked a LOT about that this summer.  And when it came time to enroll him here, I talked with the guidance counselor and asked that he repeat the class.  Max wasn't happy about it...but his high school transcript is taking some real hits right now.  I figured taking it a second time around would build his foundation a bit more solid and be an EASY A or B for him.  Silly mommy.  What WAS I thinking?!  The comments under this class state "assignments not completed regularly" and "lack of daily careful preparation".  SIGH.  How many times are we going to GO down this road?  I'm so SICK of this road.  I want the hell OFF of this road.  It's exhausting and frustrating and there is NO GOOD EXCUSE for being on this road.  He's a smart kid.  REALLY smart.  We should NOT BE ON THIS ROAD!!!!!!!!!!  And yet, we are.  He has a 69 in the Algebra class.  A 67 in his English class.  There are no comments for that class on the report.  And Max has "no idea" why his grade could possibly be that low.  Hmmmm.  Imagine that.  And THIS is why I am NOT going to be taking any pictures anytime soon in Texas.  There are no words to describe how angry I am right now with him.  NONE  though I am pretty certain that Maxwell has at least a hint.  To say that he was immediately and FULLY and SO completely grounded is an understatement.  If there are not at least B's in those classed by end of term, he will REMAIN fully grounded until mid term reports show either A's or B's in those classes...6 weeks from now.  And if he is still "struggling" with his organization....then he may just stay grounded indefinitely.  He and I are on some mighty bad terms right about now.  I'm just SO beyond disappointed that after all of the struggles of last year he is just going right back there.  I can't figure out how, if I am asking him every single night if he has his homework done and every single night he is telling me yes...it's done and I've studies....HOW then are they being IRREGULARLY turned in when they are being completed REGULARLY???!!!  HOW is this happening?!  GRRRRRRRRRR.  I am mad and grumpy and frustrated and disappointed BEYOND belief.  What DOES that child do when he walks out of here in the morning?  Does he not look around and see all of the OTHER children turning in THEIR work?  I keep hearing that Sesame Street song drift through my head.  The one that goes "One of these kids is not like the others".  How crazy true is THAT for my kid?  I feel like it's our theme song.  And so...it is with great frustration that I head off to the gym this morning.  It's STRIKE class again.  I'm going to do the class...but I don't think I love it.  It's tough enough...no worries there.  It's a good workout.  But it's not really fun.  Well...mostly it's no fun at all.  More like an instructor with a death wish and us there just asking to be tortured.  There is no playful and fun banter like I am accustomed to having with bodycombat.  It's fine.  But it's not fun.  After Strike, I'm off to lunch with my friend Jimma.  She IS a lot of fun and I do adore her.  She pretty much cracks me up every minute we hang out.  I LOVE to hear her talk.  Her southernisms are just so fun and her Texas accent only sweetens the pot for me!  She's a laugh a minute and I'm never bored with her.  Hopefully I can calm myself down and work out some of my frustrations with Max before I get there and can enjoy myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment