Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Total Conditioning-Take 2

Today I went back to Total Conditioning.  The whole morning before I went I was filled with dread.  That class is just plain hard.  And exhausting.  But I went anyway.  Instructors are different from class to class and my friend had said that she thought this one was even tougher than the last one I tried.  Of course...everyone interprets hard in different ways!  So I went and gave it a whirl.  Here's how the class went down...First thing, right out of the shoot we did 30 push ups.  That should have been my first little warning right there.  We did 30 pushups on our toes with our hands on the bench.  I survived that okay.  Then we turned around and put our FEET on the bench and did another 20 pushups.  Can you say....eat the floor Miss Shaky Arms?!  Those were tough.  Then there were another 10 pushups where we jump down into the push up with our hands on the bench and us on our toes, do the push up, then jump our feet back up to the step, do a big jump up in the air...and then do it all over again...10 times.  Well....to tell ya the truth I was pretty tired right about then.  At the end of those pushups I felt WORKED OUT!  But lucky me...I had another 50 minutes to go!  We moved on past the push ups and into the land of the lunges.  LOTS of them.  We stood up on top of the bench....with a weight in our hand...and lunged back nice and deep.  Then back up top on the bench.  To the tune of 20 times.  Followed by then taking that lunge and when we lunged back, lifting the weight up over our heads, then lifting it up over our heads again when we came back to the top of the bench.  Then we did a bunch of jump ups on the bench to really take our heart rates right on up into the death zone.  I think they use some other fancy term for it....AT Zone...stands for some kind of something Target...I can't remember now.  It's all semantics after all....AT zone....death zone...same thing.  Anyway....we did that little lunge diddy...then did it again....and then did it again...because these things apparently come in threes.  Lovely.  While we were doing these the Police were singing "Sending out an SOS" and I was thinking yes....I should be sending one out too...I need someone to save me from this class.  Soon thereafter I began to think that "I see your SOS there and raise you some smoke signals...because I'm pretty sure my butt is about to burst into flames with all these lunges".  And the instructor is up there just smiling and asking if we are feeling it yet?  Well I had long since been feeling it and was quite ready to be over that experience.  The police song faded into the old 80's classic of "Shiree don't like that" and I was thinking that Tonya ain't so fond of it either brother!  FINALLY, the lunges all came to an end.  We moved on to some nasty little squat things....where you stand with one foot on the edge of the bench and pick the other foot up and proceed to do one legged squats basically.  You do 20 of those....then you pick up a weight and do 20 more while you press that weight up over your head.  Then you move on to some more jump things to get back into the death zone.  After all of THAT fun I was now watching the clock and starting to just pray.  Biceps were next...my thoughts on that?  Ouch.  I was thinking to myself  "HOW can so little weight hurt THIS much?!"  Because I had definitely lightened up my weights by now.  So our biceps didn't feel left out, we then worked our triceps extra hard.  THEN there was a particularly grueling exercise with the resistance band.  HOLY COW it hurt so bad!  If you're looking for some pain, take up a long resistance band (mine was red) and stand with your feet a little wider than hips distance on the band, while you bring the band up to your shoulders with your elbows bent and tucked into your waist.  Then you bring one knee across at a time and put it back down again....all the time holding that band.  Tougher than it sounds, I promise you.  Then, after you've done 30 or 40 of those little jewels, just kick the foot back against the band and alternate feet.  My poor glutes.  The honestly have no idea what happened to them today or why I surely must hate them  so badly that I would have done this to them.  Class ended with some side planked hip raises.  I was torn between just crying or laying down and going to sleep.  Instead...I gingerly walked my very sweaty self out of that torture session and drove myself home and am now just too tired to move...at all.  I need to go to sleep desperately.  It was a VERY rough day.  And THAT was my total conditioning class.  I've scheduled some maintenance for the car on  Thursday...so I won't be able to do it again.  Darn it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment