Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Trials and Triumphs

Today was a better day for Tonya!  The day came and went...but not without it's share of trials and triumphs.  I had a long walk first thing this morning with the neighbor.  We detoured from our usual route, due to the mud involved with getting to our trail and walked a new route.  It was so fun to see NEW beautiful houses (have I mentioned how I SO love them here in Texas?  NOt a stucco house to be found!)  Today we walked alongside a beautiful lake.  It was cool and breezy and refreshing after being stuck in the house TOTALLY for the past 4 days due to rain.  We had a great walk, a lovely chat, and I was good and hot and sweaty when I got home.  My friend Patricia is a really good walker.  That makes me smile.  

Then there was a shower, a quick lunch, some laundry, and minor housekeeping tasks and I barely blinked and it was time to go pick up Ben for his eye exam.  He's a few months overdue at this point and we've noticed some increased headaches...so today was the day.  Ben has been asking for the better part of this year about contacts and if and when he can have them.  I told him we'd have to talk to the doctor and see what he recommended and go from there.  I didn't know if 6th grade was too young or not.  So we met the doctor....sooooo very nice.  And his staff is beyond lovely.  He did a very thorough exam on Ben and when it was all said and done, Ben's prescription had changed significantly this time (THAT would explain those headaches!).  The doctor also gave his blessing for contact lenses.  And so, while I went to get Clara from the bus stop, Ben stayed at the office to learn how to put them in and take them out and clean them and all sorts of stuff.  I wasn't gone too long...and when I got back, Ben practically flung himself into my car.  I told him to slow down...that I had to go and pay for his visit and the contacts, etc....and he burst into tears and told me he wasn't getting them...that they were too hard and he couldn't do it.  So just forget it.  Well...my heart sank.  I KNEW how much he wanted those contacts.  AND I know that Ben is most often my "quitter".  He quits pretty much EVERYTHING he tries.  If he isn't perfect at it practically from the get go, he's ready to throw in the towel.  So...I thought about it for about 10 seconds and decided the situation called for a mommy intervention...and that's what I did.  I told him that I KNEW for sure and certain how much he wanted these contacts...and that until I saw for MYSELF a concentrated FULL effort and was convinced that he simply could not do it, that I would NOT allow him to give up.  He was pretty mad, but I'm just so used to that by this point and three kids into the game.  Honestly...I wouldn't recognize my life if at least one of my kids at any given time didn't like me!  So I told him to suck it up and pull himself together and that I would be inside waiting for him when he was ready to get on with it.  Honestly...I had no idea if the kid would even get out of the car or not...much less try again.  This plan could SO seriously have backfired on me.  But within about two or three minutes, Ben came walking in the door.  Red eyed and sniffling...but he came just the same.  We had about 10 minutes of attitude then where he just went through the motions and made little or no attempt at following the suggestions of the VERY helpful nurse.  It took everything I had in me to remain calm and cheerful and upbeat right about then when I was really longing to just smack him upside his silly, stubborn head.  After that period of half hearted indifference, we seemed to turn a corner.  It may have been the announcement that I made that I was willing to sit there until they closed the office doors tonight and would GLADLY be there again when they opened in the morning IF that's what it took to get this done.  I think he was convinced because he started paying attention to the nurses' advice right about then.  It still took a good many tries, but with each try he was getting closer and his technique was improving.  I threw out the thought that IF he were to get these silly contacts in we MIGHT have to celebrate with Starbucks (it IS pumpkin latte season you know and a mom has to get her fix whenever she can finagle it!).  Ben let me know right quick that we would NOT be enjoying STarbucks and that I should just wipe that thought from my mind.  And then....about 5 minutes later...darn if that contact wasn't sitting just so pretty in my Ben's eye!  We were all surprised I think....even Ben! And of course...the FIRST words out of his mouth were "Can we go get Starbucks now?!".  You got to love that kid!  It only took two tries to get the left eye in...then a quick lesson in getting them out....and then he popped them both right back in again.  I LOVED watching the expression of pure joy and excitement wash over his face and to see pride and a sense of real accomplishment wash all over his joyful little face.  There were smiles galore and high fives and pats on the back.  A real moment of triumph after a more than a little bit stressful visit!  He was all smiles when he walked in the door of the house with no glasses on his face and proclaimed that he was WEARING his contacts!  He has said thank you about a dozen times tonight.  He's really glad that I stood my ground and made him try and ecstatic that he got through it and perservered and he's thrilled to be reaping the benefits of that hard work tonight.  

Clara was bubbling with her own triumphs tonight.  She is gathering sponsors for her Boosterthon run at school.  She gets people to pledge an amoung PER LAP and then, on the day of the event, she runs her little heart out and tries to do as much as she can in the time she's given.  Her dad and I had pledged $1 a lap for her and she was BEYOND thrilled to get off the bus today wearing a "team" bracelet.  In order to be on the official "team" one must have at least one pledge or flat donation on your file.  She was so happy!  She was over the MOON when I checked my e-mail and my sister had also pledged $1 a lap!  She was just giddy!  She now cannot WAIT to get to school tomorrow for more pep rally fun andanticipation of the big day...which is still MANY days away.  This run is a really nice distraction for her.  Her teacher's 6 year old son was diagnosed with leukemia last week and her teacher has taken a leave until AT LEAST February to be with Jackson.  So a new temporary teacher has had to step in at the last minute and pick up Clara's class.  She has struggled with the change a bit.  Poor baby.  There have really been a LOT of changes for her lately, with the move and all.  And she's worried about Jackson.  She prays for him long and hard each night.  And today we went and got a gift to go in a basket that her class is assembling for him.  She's trying to wrap her brain around leukemia and what it is and is trying to figure out why it made her teacher cry so hard at school.  She's seemed a bit overwhelmed processing it all...so this fun run is such a great distraction for her.  If anyone out there wants to pledge for her efforts and support Team Clara, you can do so by logging on to Boosterthon Online Pledge and entering her access code.  Her access code is VTT-KZY.  That will direct any pledges you make directly to Clara's file!  She's so fired up and excited...and I like that the focus is on physical fitness and fun...and not just another catalog full of giftwrap and other assorted useless junk!  She's so excited about running and wanting to do her very best for her school.  The really great thing is that the MOST they are allowed to run is 34 laps.  So you don't have to worry about going broke supporting them!  There IS a definite maximum!  

We finished our whirlwind of a day with Starbucks and homework and hamburgers out on the grill.  Chris is working in Phoenix for a couple of days.  So it's just me and the kiddos.  We enjoyed our cookout immensely.  We had a nice chat with Gigi wishing her happy birthday and all the kiddos were tucked in with big, sweet smiles on their faces tonight.  And you just can't beat that.  It was a great day in the state of Texas!  Tomorrow promises to be equally as great.  I'm off to lunch with my realtor whom I adore to pieces.  She's just about one of the funniest people I have ever met and she just makes me smile when I listen to her sweet southern accent roll off that silly tongue of hers!  She's a hoot and I am already smiling just thinking of our time together tomorrow!  Sweet dreams!  I'm off,  for tomorrow is sure to hold many trials and triumphs of it's own!  

No comments:

Post a Comment